Fox Ridge Middle School
CHERRY CREEK SCHOOL DISTRICT PARENT TEACHER COMMUNITY COUNCIL, INC.
Fox Ridge Middle School PTCO BY-LAWS Dated (08/14/2008--09/17/2013)
The name of the organization shall be the Cherry Creek School District Parent Teacher Community Council, Inc. Fox Ridge Middle School PTCO, hereafter known as the PTCO.
1. The purpose of the PTCO shall be the assist in attaining the highest level of education and welfare for the entire student body of Fox Ridge Middle School through the cooperative efforts of the Faculty and Staff, the Cherry Creek District community and the parents.
2. This PTCO is a subordinate organization of and is organized under authority granted by the Cherry Creek School District Parent Teacher Community Council, Inc,. otherwise known as CCSD Parents’ Council.
3. This PTCO is organized solely for charitable, scientific, literary or educational purposes as defined in Section 501( c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code. This organization is not a private foundation.
1. GENERAL- General Membership shall consist of the parents or guardians of students, the community, representatives from student council, the administrators, the faculty and the staff of Fox Ridge Middle School.
2. ASSOCIATE- Associate membership shall consist of the students of Fox Ridge Middle School and interested members of the community.
3. No dues shall be required for membership.
ELECTED OFFICERS AND THEIR DUTIES
a. To call and preside at all meetings of the organization
b. To be a member ex-officio of all committees.
c. To work with the Executive Board to appoint chairpersons of Standing and Special Committees, the Nominating Committee and representatives.
d. To keep the PTCO aware of school events.
e. To sign checks in addition to the Treasurer.
f. To appoint an examiner to conduct the year-end financial examination of the organization’s book. *
g. To submit an annual affiliation letter to the CCSD Parents’ Council asking to continue as a subordinate organization under the 501 ( c ) (3) tax exempt group status. *
h. To register the organization as a Charitable Organization in the State of Colorado with the Secretary of State. *
i. To file annual reports with the Secretary of State requesting authorization to continue to operate as a Charitable Organization in the State of Colorado. *
j. To attend a minimum of one CCSD Parents’ Council Leadership Workshop upon election. *
k. To the best of your ability, to attend District functions where individuals from your school are invited and/or honored, including the Area Director luncheon(s), Exceptional Volunteer of the Year event, Open Forum roundtable discussions and the Teacher of the Year banquet.
l. To keep the committee aware of District Accountability information.
m. To co-chair Accountability
n. To attend CCSD Parents’ Council general meetings or assign a representative (Parents’ Council Representative or Representatives).
a. To preside in the absence of the President, Treasurer(s) or Secretary(s).
b. To support the duties of the President
c. To act as Parliamentarian.
a. To record, transcribe and distribute the minutes of all PTCO meetings.
b. To maintain and keep current a copy of the Bylaws. *
c. To handle all incoming and outgoing correspondence as needed by the PTCO.
d. To maintain a current listing of the Executive Board and the Committee Chairpersons.
e. To provide a copy of the Executive Board listing, including contact information (Name, Address, Phone, Email Address of each) to the CCSD Parents’ Council upon election. *
f. To distribute minutes to Board Members, all people who attended the meeting, and other members who requested copies, and place one copy on the PTCO bulletin board.
g. To act as Parliamentarian.
a. To receive, deposit and disburse the funds of the organization, as authorized by the Executive Board.
b. To maintain accurate records of all financial transactions. *
c. To submit monthly financial statements to the Board.
d. To submit financial records for examination by July 15 to Executive Board (review to be completed by August 15)
e. To prepare the Annual Budget in conjunction with the Budget Committee for approval by the Executive Board and ratification by the General Membership.*
f. To submit a copy of the Annual Budget to the Treasurer of CCSD Parents’ Council upon formal approval by the PTCO membership. *
g. To attend a minimum of one CCSD Parents’ Council Treasurer’s Workshop upon election. *
h. To maintain and reconcile the organization’s checkbook with bank records.
i. To file annual financial statements/tax returns and schedules with the Internal Revenue Service and the Colorado Secretary of State. *
j. To send copies of each filing to the Treasurer of the CCSD Parents’ Council no later than 30 (thirty) days after such filing. *
5. Fundraising Coordinator(s)
a. To organize restaurant fundraisers
b. To oversee the School Store
c. To organize the sale of school spirit wear
d. To support all school fundraisers
6. Hospitality Chair(s)
a. To organize teacher hospitality at events such as conferences, back to school, and teacher appreciation
b. To support the other executive board members when needed
ELECTION OF OFFICERS
1. The nominating Committee shall consist of the Principal and two returning Board members
2. The Nominating Committee shall nominate a candidate for each elected office.
3. The election shall take place in the spring of each school year.
4. Nominations shall be accepted from the floor at a general meeting on the condition that the nominee consents.
5. Election shall be by voice vote if there is only one nominee for an office. If more than one candidate is nominated for an office, the election shall be by a plurality of those present and voting at a general meeting by a written ballot.
6. The term of the office for all members of the Executive Board shall be from July 1st to June 30th.
7. No officer shall be eligible to serve in the same office for more than two consecutive terms unless there is no one else to fill that position.
8. The President and Treasurer positions are two-year terms. The terms of all other offices are one-year.
9. In the event a vacancy should occur among the elected officers, the President(s) should call a meeting of the Executive Board within 30 (thirty) days to appoint a new officer to finish the unexpired term.
1. The executive Board shall be a representative voice of the Fox Ridge Community, and when possible, consist of at least one parent from each of the feeder elementaries.
2. The executive Board shall be composed of the elected officers and a designated building administrator (i.e. Principal or assistant principal)
1. The Executive Board shall meet monthly prior to the general meeting.
2. Regular monthly meetings of the membership shall be held during the school year. The meeting dates for the entire year shall be published before the beginning of the school year.
3. Meetings shall be open to all members of the organization.
4. Special meetings of the Executive Board may be called by the President(s) or the Principal with a five-day notice.
5. A joint meeting of the outgoing and incoming Boards shall be held at the last regular meeting of each school year.
6. Members of the Board shall attend all regularly scheduled meetings during the year and may not be absent from more than three meetings. Failure to comply may constitute a vacancy. Exceptions to this policy may be appealed to the Executive Board.
7. Any expense in excess of $500 must be presented to the Executive Board and General Members for a vote.
8. Minutes shall be kept at all executive and general membership meetings.
The following are the operating principles to be followed by this PTCO, as required by the Cherry Creek School District Parent Teacher Community Council, Inc. (CCSD Parents’ Council)
1. The organization shall promote the goal of a quality education and support for the general welfare of all students at Fox Ridge Middle School by working with the faculty and staff, the Cherry Creek School District community, and the students
2. The organization shall not engage in or endorse any commercial activities. This does not, however, prevent the organization from carrying on fundraising activities related to its purpose. Nor does it prevent a commercial enterprise from sponsoring an activity related to the organization’s purpose.
3. No substantial part of the activities of the organization shall involve attempts to influence legislation or other political activities. The organization shall not participate in, on behalf of, or in opposition to, any campaign for a candidate for political office. This does not prohibit the distribution of non-partisan materials or the holding of non-partisan candidate forums.
4. No part of the net earnings of the organization shall inure to the benefit of its members, directors, officers or other private persons. The organization may carry on only those activities permitted under the Internal Revenue Code, Section 501 ( c) (3).
5. Upon the dissolution of this organization and after paying for the debts of the organization, the remaining assets shall be distributed to one or more non-profit organizations, which are tax exempt under Section 501 ( c )(3) of the Internal Revenue Code.
AFFILIATION WITH THE CCSD Parents’ Council
(CHERRY CREEK SCHOOL DISTRICT PARENT TEACHER COMMUNITY COUNCIL, INC)*
1. This organization is structured under the authority of the Cherry Creek School District Parent Teacher Community Council, Inc. (CCSD Parents’ Council) and is chartered as a subordinate organization in accordance with the rules prescribed by the CCSD Parents’ Council.
2. An annual affirmation letter shall be submitted by the President of the PTCO to the CCSD Parents’ Council President affirming their continuation as a subordinate organization under the CCSD Parents’ Council Tax Exempt 501 ( c) (3) status with the Internal Revenue Service.
3. A copy of the bylaws, including certain provisions required by the CCSD Parents’ Council, shall be forwarded to the CCSD Parents’ Council Treasurer upon adoption. Further, when amendments are made to the Bylaws, a copy of the amended Bylaws shall be submitted to the CCSD Parents’ Council Treasurer.
4. Copies of all annually required financial filings to the Internal Revenue Service and the Secretary of State (State of Colorado) shall be submitted to the Treasurer of the CCSD Parents’ Council within 30 days of filing.
5. Permanent books and records shall be maintained with sufficient detail to adequately reflect all sources of income and nature of expenditures. Such books and records will be made available for inspection, at reasonable times, upon request of an authorized representative of the CCSD Parents’ Council.
6. The President (or Co-Presidents) of this organization shall be a member/members of the CCSD Parents’ Council. If the President(s) are unable to attend regular Parents’ Council meetings, it is recommended that one or more Parents’ Council representatives be assigned to attend and report during regular PTO meetings. The membership fee required by the CCSD Parents’ Council should be an obligation of this organization.
7. As a subordinate organization of the CCSD Parents’ Council, this group is obligated to operate in accordance with the prescribed rules of the CCSD Parents’ Council and the Operating Principles in Article VII of these Bylaws. Failure to comply with these provisions could result in withdrawal by the CCSD Parents’ Council of the charter of this organization.
The fiscal year shall begin on July 1st and end on June 30th of the following year.
QUORUM AND VOTER ELIGIBILITY
The General Membership and Board Members present at any meeting shall be entitled to vote for the purpose of transacting the business of the organization. All eligible voters at a meeting shall constitute a quorum. Unless otherwise required in the Bylaws, a majority vote shall decide all matters at the meeting. The President shall vote only in the event of a tie vote.
Electronic votes will be accepted in the event a decision needs to be made between meetings.
1. The Executive Board at its first meeting of the year will review Bylaws. Bylaws will be presented for approval at a General Meeting in the Fall of each new school year.
2. These Bylaws may be amended at any general meeting by a majority of the votes of the General members and Board members present and voting, provided that written notice of the proposed amendment(s) shall have been given thirty (30) days prior to the meeting.
Original Adoption: 08/14/2008
As Amended: 10/03/2008
As Amended: 10/14/2010
As Amended: 11/20/2011
As Amended: 09/17/2013
(Add dates as amendments are made. If prior dates are unavailable, start with the earliest version available, and then add amendment dates from that point.)