FRMS 8th Grade Girls Basketball Information
Head Coach – Mike Hedquist
The FRMS Basketball Program operates on a “No Cut” basis. No player will be dropped from the team if the following conditions are met:
1. Regular attendance and promptness for practices. The district requires five practices before playing in a game. If a player is missing practices and they are not excused by a parent or teacher they will not be allowed to play in the next game.
2. A player must display self-control and acceptable behavior in school, at basketball and in the community at all times.
3. Current Athletic Emergency Card on file and a signed Code of Conduct is also on file.
4. Athlete’s participation fee of $60.00 has been paid or a waiver has been accepted. Full scholarships are available only with a copy of free and reduced lunch approval letter. There will be no refunds after the first game of the season.
Use of uniforms and basketballs are provided as part of your fees. Shoes and other practice attire need to be provided by each player. Students will not be allowed to practice if not properly dressed for basketball (I.e. Athletic shoes, a full sleeved athletic shirt, and gym shorts that are mid-thigh in length).
Plan to attend practices regularly. Practice will be every day, with the exception of Wednesdays, from 3:15-4:10 PM. There are no practices on game days. All athletes must be on task at every practice since practice is short and we have a lot of kids participating. The locker room is open from 3:05-3:15 for athletes to change for practice, and will be locked until practice concludes at 4:10. Late buses run each day and leave promptly at 4:15. Athletes, who walk home or need to have other rides, need to be picked up no later than 4:30 pm following practice. If an athlete is consistently not being picked up on time he/she will not be able to participate!
The coaching staff will play every eligible player in every game, while still maintaining a goal of winning the game. There will be four teams – A, B, C (Red), and C (Green). Determining player positions and teams will be the coaches’ decision based on the following factors:
1. Demonstrated hustle; passing, shooting, rebounding, dribbling and ball handling skills; knowledge of assigned plays and their execution; team play and attitude.
2. The best distribution of players to maintain team balance. For example, it may not be best to have ten tall or ten short players all on the same team.
3. Those things determined by the coaching staff to be best to help a player develop to her full potential.
GAME AND PRACTICE SCHEDULE:
On Monday and Tuesday games, the “A” team will play first; “B” team second; “C (Green)” will play first; “C (Red)” second. On Wednesday or Thursday games, the times are reversed. Games are in the afternoon and will start as close to 4:00 P.M. as possible depending on the release time of the opposing school and will end around 6:00 – 6:30 P.M. All times may vary and parents are suggested to arrive before 4:00 P.M.
SAFETY OF ATHLETES' PERSONAL BELONGINGS:
*TO HELP ENSURE THE SAFETY OF ATHLETES' PERSONAL BELONGINGS, THE LOCKER ROOM WILL BE LOCKED DURING GAMES UNTIL THE CONCLUSION OF THE LAST GAME OR UNTIL THE TEAM BUS RETURNS TO FOX RIDGE.
******** If leaving early with a parent **********
HOME GAMES: If a player plans on leaving after the 1st game, she cannot leave her belongings in the locker room; she MUST bring them to the team bench.
AWAY GAMES: If a player plans on leaving after the 1st game, she cannot leave her belongings in the locker room or on the bus; she MUST bring them to the team bench. Players must check out with their coach before leaving an AWAY game. If a player does not sign out, she will forfeit playing in the next game.